Saturday, May 15, 2010

Tailgate: exposing the rusty motor

I removed the power window motor in the tailgate to see if it might need cleaned inside.



I used penetrating oil and a wire wheel to remove the exterior rust.



At first the inside didn't look too terrible, but then I looked inside the motor casing and saw that on one side a lot of the lacquer had come off. This was probably causing multiple short circuits. Additionally, I noticed one spot where the was a definite break in one of the windings. I would try to get the windings off for inspection (possibly repair) but they're held on with a rivet.



I cleaned up the shaft that was a little rusty. It turned much easier after this.



I put the thing back together and turned it on. It worked at first, but then it slowed down and finally started smoking (aah!).

So much for fixing the motor.

No comments:

Post a Comment