Monday, May 3, 2010

The dreaded rear window

Our rear power window has been stuck down for a couple of weeks now, so I finally opened up the tailgate to have a look inside.



It was quite a chore to get the rusty screws off, but in the end my channel locks prevailed. Inside I found a lot of crud that I guess has been accumulating since 1962. After removing that I was able to get a good look at what makes the window go up and down.



Each arms attaches at the bottom of the window with a roller inside a channel. By removing the keeper pin, the arm can be detached from the roller and the window can be pulled out.



I was able to remove the roller on one side without too much trouble. Unfortunately, the other roller was stuck to the pin and broke off.





Once the window was removed I checked the voltage going to the motor, and it was fine. And sure enough, with the window off, the arms moved up when the motor was switched on.

Because the arms moved I figured the motor must be working and put everything back together. Unfortunately, it still wouldn't roll up. I guess the motor works, just not very well. Not too surprising when you look at it.



So I ordered a new roller to replace the one I broke (6 on eBay for $5), and now I need to look into getting a new motor.

Oh, and I was able to get the window up by putting a nylon strap under the window and lifting up to help the motor out.

1 comment:

  1. Oh good so you got it closed? Wow it all sounds very complicated to me James. You must be learning alot . I remember when Jonathans prospective father in law helped him redo his VW, he loved going to the part store and talking "car". Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete